Plan the implementation of your plan | Nursing homework help
EBP Assessment Plan
A. Baseline Data
The EBP proposal aims at improving pain management among elderly patients who have osteoarthritis within a long term care facility. A chart review was conducted on 100 elderly patients who had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and were being treated for pain in the long-term facility. In the review, 70% of patients reported uncontrolled pain even though they were receiving pain medication. The remaining 30% also complained about inadequate pain relief. The review also found that there were no standardized tools or interventions for pain assessment and management, while the nursing staff had inadequate skills and knowledge in this area.
B. Outcome Indicators
Indicators of success for EBP projects include:
- Pain management: a better way to manage it
- Use of standard pain assessment tools is increasing
- Pain control in older patients with osteoarthritis
- There is an increase in patients aged 65 and older who report adequate pain relief.
- Improved knowledge of nursing staff in the management of pain
C. Outcome measures
Each of the indicators has a set of outcome measurements:
- The number of patients who receive evidence-based interventions in the management of pain, including non-pharmacological intervention, the use of opioids according to the WHO’s analgesic scale, as well as the monitoring and documentation on pain intensity, adverse effects and medication, will provide a measure of improvement.
- The percentage of patients who are assessed with a valid pain assessment tool, such as Wong-Baker’s FACES or Numeric Rating Scale will indicate the increase in use of standard pain assessment tools.
- In order to measure the decrease in pain among elderly patients suffering from osteoarthritis, the Numeric Score Scale is used.
- A patient satisfaction survey and the Numeric Rate Scale (NRS) will measure the increase in elderly osteoarthritis patients reporting sufficient pain relief.
- Pre and post intervention surveys will measure the improvement in knowledge and skill of nursing staff in pain management. Evaluation of implementation of evidence-based interventions in pain management.
D. Data Collection Strategy
Six months after implementation, the data will also be collected post-intervention. Data will be collected and analyzed by nursing staff, who are responsible for implementing the project. Data will be collected by a tool for pain management to assess pain management, the use and documentation of pain assessment instruments that are standardized, as well as pain management techniques. Patients will rate their pain using the Numeric Rating Scale and will also be asked to complete a survey about patient satisfaction. The knowledge and skills in the management of pain will be evaluated by pre- and postintervention surveys.
Conclusion: The EBP proposal aims to enhance pain management for elderly patients who have osteoarthritis within a facility that provides long-term care. The plan of evaluation includes data on baseline, indicators and outcome measures as well as data collection methods. Comparing the data collected after the implementation of the program with baseline data is the best way to assess the efficiency of the initiative. Results of evaluations will help identify improvement areas and direct future practices.