Nursing homework help| Nursing homework help
Scenario 1: A hospital notices an increase in the number of patients who are developing hospital acquired infections (HAIs). They want to introduce an intervention that will reduce HAIs at their facility.
The use of UV disinfection in hospitals compared with standard cleaning methods (C), reduces the incidence of hospital acquired infections (O).
Hospitalization of patients I: Use of UV disinfection methods C: Cleaning standards O: Rates and types hospital acquired infections
- P: patients, hospitals
- I: UV light disinfection, ultraviolet light disinfection, UV-C light
- Cleaning methods that are traditional, standard, and manual
- Nosocomial Infections, hospital acquired infections
- Synonym: ultraviolet disinfection
- MeSH term: Hospital-Acquired Infections/prevention and control
- Donskey, C. J., Kundrapu, S., Deshpande, A., & Colonies, K. (2019). Implementation of UV room disinfection following hospital discharge, and reduction in infections associated with hospitals. Clinical infectious diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 69(11), 1840–1846. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz197
- Haas, J. P., Menz, J., Dusza, S., Montecalvo, M. A., & Wormser, G. P. (2019). The effectiveness of UV-C and high-level disinfection cabinets for the decontamination N95 respirators. Pathogens and Disease, 77(9), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1093/femspd/ftaa031
- Ling, M. L., Ching, P., Nandakumar, M., Cheng, H. C., Cheng, A., Lee, C., & Ling, L. M. (2016). The effectiveness of UV C light in disinfecting multi-drug resistant organisms was compared to other commonly used methods. Journal of Hospital Infection, 92(3), 235–240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2015.11.009
- Ramalingam, S., Sankar, M. J., Nuthanakalva, V. N., Vasanthan, T., Vincent, P., Gomathi, S., & Kali, A. (2020). The use of ultraviolet-C to disinfect patient rooms in the COVID-19 pandemic using an environmentally friendly method: A clinical trial. Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 87(9), 698–702. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-020-03357-5