Strategies & Quality Practice
These are strategies that professional nurses can employ to promote the use of nursing theory in practice.
- Education of colleagues. Professional nurses can teach their colleagues the value of nursing theory and how it is used as a guide for good practice. It can be achieved through discussions, presentations or informal conversation.
- Nursing theory can be incorporated into care plans by a professional nurse. She can show the patient how to use it and improve outcomes.
- Research: A professional can do research to demonstrate the benefits of nursing theory for improving outcomes and patient care. The research results can then be presented to colleagues and administrators as a way of demonstrating the importance of applying nursing theory.
- Work with nursing theoretical experts: A nurse professional can work closely with nursing scholars to implement and develop nursing theories which are applicable to their environment. Collaboration can ensure nursing theories are applied effectively and in a meaningful manner.
- Advocate for policy changes. A professional nurse could advocate for policy modifications that promote the use nursing theory as an underlying framework of quality practice. You can do this by working with professionals and policymakers in order to encourage the integration of nursing theories into guidelines and healthcare policies.
A professional nurse may use different strategies in order to promote the implementation of nursing theory, which can be used as a guideline for quality practices. Nursing theory can be used to improve the outcomes of patients and the care they receive.