The following are the steps to prepare your patient for spirometry:
- A large meal or smoking should be avoided for 2 hours beforehand.
- It is important to inform the patient about what they can expect and the reason for the test.
- After ensuring that the patient is comfortable, instruct them on how they can use the spirometer.
- The results will be accurate and consistent.
- This helps patients perform their test at the highest level possible, improving results.
- The patient can feel less nervous and more at ease during the exam.