- Shared Culture: Members of a society or group share a culture, which helps them to feel a sense identity.
- It is learnt: Through socialization and educational programs, culture is transmitted from one generation to the next.
- Symbolic expression: The culture is expressed by symbols like language, art and music. They carry meanings and messages.
- Cultural change is constant and dynamic as new ideas and technologies are introduced.
- Adaptive: Cultural adaptation helps people and society adapt to changes in circumstances such as economic and environmental shifts.
- Integrated: Culture is a system that is integrated, with different parts which work in harmony to produce a whole. They include things like language, beliefs and values, as well as customs, behavior, and artifacts.
- The culture is pattern-like, with norms and shared expectations that guide social interaction and behavior.
By understanding these cultural characteristics, individuals and society can better respect and appreciate diversity in culture and encourage cross-cultural communication and understanding.