Capstone papers are a great way for students to show their level of competency in the eight core competencies for Public Health Professionals. Eight domains:
- Analytic/Assessment skills: Ability to collect, analyse, and interpret information to develop strategies and policies for public health.
- Planned Policy and Program Development: Ability to create, evaluate, and implement public health policies.
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate effectively using different channels and formats with both individuals and groups.
- Culture Competency skills: the ability to work with and understand diverse groups.
- Ability to recognize and respond to community health resources and needs.
- Knowledge of biological, environmental and social sciences, as well as behavioral science, is required to practice public health.
- Finance Planning and Management: Ability to allocate and manage resources in a financial planning and management manner.
- Leading and systems thinking skills: Ability to collaborate in teams. To use system thinking for public health concerns. And to engage in continual quality improvement.
Capstone papers allow students to demonstrate their expertise in the eight domains by applying learned skills and knowledge to real world public health issues. Students can improve their public health effectiveness by identifying areas of improvement and development.