These public health milestones are divided into different areas, such as tobacco control, disease prevention and vaccination. These achievements show how far we have come in the improvement of health and welfare for populations. Some of the health milestones that may be mentioned in the future decade include:
- Smoking-Related Deaths and Illnesses Reduced: The number of smokers can be further reduced by implementing effective tobacco control measures, including increasing tobacco taxes, creating smoke-free areas, and promoting cessation programs.
- Increased Immunization Coverage: The development of new vaccinations, and expansion of the vaccine programs could result in a greater coverage of the essential vaccines, resulting in fewer vaccine-preventable disease deaths and illnesses.
- Improved Control of Non-Communicable Diseases: NCDs like cancers, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease can be controlled through policy and programmatic measures, including promoting healthy eating habits and physical activities, reducing risk factors and improving access to screenings, treatments, and care.
- Telehealth Services Expansion: Telehealth Services are expanding and could improve access to healthcare, especially in remote and rural areas. This will reduce health disparities, and lead to better health outcomes.
- Increased Investments in Mental Health. The increased recognition of mental illness and its importance could help to develop more effective policies and programs in this area, thus improving mental health.
- Focus on environmental health: Increased investment could be made in the field of environmental health to include measures that reduce pollution, improve living conditions and access to safe environments.
The potential success of these health initiatives depends on continued investments in research and innovation as well collaborations across all sectors.