Lab task: assessing the stomach | NURS 6512 – Superior Well being Evaluation and Diagnostic Reasoning | Walden College
- Within the subjective portion of the notice, extra info that must be included within the documentation are:
- Detailed description of the stomach ache (location, kind, depth, length, frequency, aggravating and relieving elements)
- Presence of different gastrointestinal signs (vomiting, bloating, constipation, blood in stool)
- Latest adjustments in eating regimen or way of life
- Any current journey or publicity to infectious illnesses
- Household historical past of gastrointestinal issues
- Within the goal portion of the notice, extra info that must be included within the documentation are:
- Belly examination findings in different quadrants
- Rectal examination findings (if carried out)
- Outcomes of another diagnostic checks carried out (if any)
- The evaluation of gastroenteritis is supported by the subjective and goal info, because the affected person presents with stomach ache and hyperactive bowel sounds within the LLQ, that are in step with the analysis. Nonetheless, additional investigations could also be essential to rule out different situations that may current with related signs.
- Diagnostic checks that could be applicable for this case embody:
- Stool tradition and sensitivity to establish the causative organism in case of infectious gastroenteritis
- Full blood rely and electrolyte panel to evaluate for dehydration and electrolyte imbalances
- Belly ultrasound or CT scan to judge for any structural abnormalities or irritation within the gastrointestinal tract
The outcomes of those checks can assist in making a analysis and figuring out applicable remedy choices.
- Primarily based on the restricted info offered within the case examine, the present analysis of gastroenteritis could also be applicable. Nonetheless, different situations which will current with related signs and must be thought of within the differential analysis embody:
- Inflammatory bowel illness (reminiscent of Crohn’s illness or ulcerative colitis)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
These situations could be differentiated by means of extra historical past taking, bodily examination, and diagnostic checks. For example, inflammatory bowel illness could current with persistent diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and weight reduction, whereas diverticulitis could current with fever, chills, and localized stomach tenderness.
- Crohn’s & Colitis Basis. (2022). Signs of Crohn’s Illness. https://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-is-crohns-disease/symptoms
- American School of Gastroenterology. (2021). Irritable Bowel Syndrome. https://gi.org/topics/irritable-bowel-syndrome/
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. (2019). Diverticulitis. https://www.fascrs.org/patients/disease-condition/diverticulitis-disease-0