Assignment 2: clinical skills self-assessment | NRNP 6665 PMHNP CARE ACROSS LIFESPAN 1 | Walden University
It is important to reflect on one’s own background, knowledge and experience. This can be especially helpful when developing advanced nursing skills. By critically reflecting on one’s background, knowledge, and experience, a nurse can identify gaps in their skills and develop a plan for improvement.
The PMHNP Clinical Skills List and Self-Assessment Form provided in the Learning Resources can be used as a guide to evaluate one’s clinical skills and identify areas for improvement. These skills cover the competencies an advanced practice nursing student should show during practicum.
It is useful to review past self assessments from previous practicums to determine where you stand in your development of clinical skill. This will help identify trends of improvement and growth. It is essential to consider the assessment and diagnostic reasoning when setting goals for your current practicum. Prioritize the development of new skills to help fill in any gaps.
Conclusion: Self-reflection plays a crucial role in developing advanced nursing skills. Using tools such as the PMHNP Clinical Skills List or Self-Assessment Form can help nurses identify their areas for improvement. They can also develop a plan to continue professional development.
Referrals less than five years old:
- American Nurses Credentialing Center. (2019). ANCC psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner board certification. Retrieved from https://www.nursecredentialing.org/Certification/PMHNP
- American Nurses Association (2018). Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. Retrieved by https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursing-expertise/psychiatric-mental-health-np/
- Johnson, J., & Webber, M. (2019). Advanced practice nursing: essential knowledge for the professional (4th edition). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- National Alliance of Nurse Practitioners in Psychiatry (2017). Role and responsibility of the PMHNP Retrieved From https://www.nanpp.org/role-and-responsibilities
- Walden University. (2019). Retrieved from “Master of Science in Nursing: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner” (2019). Retrieved From https://www.waldenu.edu/degree-programs/master-of-science-in-nursing-psychiatric-mental-health-nurse-practitioner