The template will list the various components that constitute research.
Article Selected: Sousa, J.P., & Santos, M. (2019). Heart failure and readmission to hospital. An empirical study in Portugal. Critical Care Nurse Quarterly 42(1) 81-88.
- The research problem should be identified. In this study, the research problem is related to symptom control and hospital readmissions in patients suffering from heart failure.
- What is the goal of research? This study aims at exploring the experiences of patients with heart failure regarding symptoms management and readmission to hospital.
- Summary of the literature review. The literature review in this study discusses the prevalence and incidence of heart failure, the impact of symptoms on the patient’s quality of life, and the importance of symptom management to prevent hospital readmissions.
- Determine the theoretical framework for nursing. This study does not state the theoretical perspective.
- Research questions and hypotheses should be identified. In this study, the research questions are: 1) How do patients with heart failure manage their symptoms. The research questions in this study are: (1) How do heart failure patients manage their symptoms?
- Determine the variables. This study has a dependent variable, hospital readmission. The independent variable was symptom management.
- Discuss the suitability of the design. This study utilized a qualitative research approach, which was appropriate to explore the experiences and perspectives of heart failure patients in relation to symptom control and readmission.
- Define the data collection procedures. Data for this study were collected from in-depth interview with patients suffering heart failure. Face-to-face interviews with heart failure patients were recorded.
- Discussion of validity and reliability for the tools, surveys, instruments or other methods. The study didn’t use any instruments, surveys, or tools. Multiple coders were used to ensure the validity and reliability.
- Description of the final sample The study included 13 patients with heart failure who had been admitted to an outpatient cardiology clinic in a Portuguese medical facility.
- Include the statistical method or any other analysis in your summary. This study found that patients with heart failure have a difficult time managing their symptoms. As a result, they are more likely to be readmitted to the hospital. Content analysis was used by the authors to analyse the interview data.
- What is the importance of this study? Does it answer the question? The study’s findings contribute to a better understanding of the experiences of heart failure patients regarding symptom management and hospital readmission. This study didn’t provide an answer to the original research question, but it did highlight the importance of better symptom-management in heart failure to reduce hospital readmissions.
- Include the ethical and legal issues in the study. Discuss the legal and ethical issues of the study. The study received ethical approval from the hospital’s ethics committee, and all participants provided written informed consent. They ensured that the confidentiality and anonymity of participants were maintained.
- Describe any cultural aspects. The study was conducted in Portugal, and cultural factors may have influenced the participants’ experiences and perceptions of symptom management and hospital readmission.
- How might the findings of this research affect nursing practice in the future? This study’s results may be used to develop interventions that improve symptom management for heart failure patients, and reduce hospital readmissions.
- You can apply the findings of research to nursing. In my role as a model for language, I am unable to provide any personal opinions or experiences. The results of the study could encourage nurses to better assess and manage heart failure symptoms in order to avoid hospital readmissions.