Nurse homework Help: Core Competencies| Nursing homework help
The “Core Competencies for a New Vision for Health Professions Education” include:
- Patient-centered care
- Teams of interdisciplinary professionals
- Evidence-based Practice
- Quality improvement is a must
- Utilize informatics
- To provide patient-centered healthcare, nurses must be able to understand and respect the needs, values and preferences of their patients. Nursing should be collaborative with patients in creating individualized health care plans. This competency can be demonstrated in my nursing practice by listening actively to patients, their families and advocating their rights.
- Working in multidisciplinary teams is a competency that involves working with healthcare professionals from different disciplines to deliver comprehensive patient care. Nursing staff should work with other professionals to enhance patient care. This competency can be demonstrated in my nursing practice by effectively communicating with other health care professionals, sharing resources and information, and taking part in interprofessional meetings and rounds.
- Use evidence-based practices: This competency includes using the most current evidence available to guide clinical decisions and improve patient outcomes. Nursing professionals should be able evaluate studies critically and use evidence-based interventions to improve patient outcomes. As a nurse, I am able to demonstrate this competence by being up-to date on the most recent research, following evidence-based protocols and guidelines, and taking part in research.
- Apply quality improvement. This competency involves identifying improvements in systems and processes within healthcare, and using the data collected to develop effective solutions. The nurses must be able collect, analyse, and interpret the data in order to improve outcomes for patients and delivery of healthcare. As a nurse, I am able to demonstrate this competence by participating in projects to improve quality, using the data to determine areas of improvement, and implementing research-based interventions that will help to improve patient care.
- Use informatics. This competency involves the use of technology in support of patient care, research, and education. Nurses must be able use patient portals and electronic health records to enhance communication and improve outcomes for patients. My nursing practice allows me to demonstrate this competence by using electronic patient records for documentation, accessing patient data and interpreting it, as well as using telehealth to communicate effectively with patients and health professionals.
As an example, I can say that my work environment demonstrates the competence of working with interdisciplinary teams. Our regular meetings with healthcare professionals such as doctors, social workers, physical therapists, and other physicians are interdisciplinary. We discuss patient care plans. My workplace could improve its use of informatics. There is not enough education and training on the use of electronic health records to enhance patient communication and care.
The following chart shows how I use the five core nursing competencies.
The chart below shows my application of each core competency in nursing, relating to reflective thinking and critical thought. Images to illustrate the competencies and examples on how I use each one in my nursing practice are included.