There are many strategies I can use as an advanced practice nursing to evaluate and review literature relevant to my practice. These strategies include the following:
- Identification of relevant databases It is important to determine the databases that are most appropriate for your practice. PubMed can be used for health-related research while CINAHL is a database that focuses on literature in nursing and other health fields.
- Identifying keywords relevant to your topic is essential. Searching for literature using synonyms or related terms will expand your search.
- Applying the inclusion criteria and exclusion criteria. Once you have completed your literature review, it is important that you use pre-determined criteria to exclude any irrelevant articles. It is important to include only studies of high quality in your review.
- The literature must be critically assessed using the appropriate tools. The study’s design, method, results, conclusions, and methodology are all evaluated. The process ensures that studies are reliable, valid and applicable to my field.
- The findings must be synthesized after a critical appraisal of the research. Based on available evidence, conclusions should then be drawn. The information helps in clinical decision-making.
These strategies will help me evaluate and review literature that is relevant to me, so I can provide my patients with evidence-based treatment.